Hand sanitizer as poison for adults
The Full Story
24 Oct Ingestion of hand sanitizer can cause alcohol poisoning and even death, and the vast majority of those exposed are children under 6 who drink it by accident after finding it in the home or a parent's purse or bag.
It's less common for adults who can buy alcohol legally to deliberately ingest hand sanitizer.
However, remember that the best way to prevent the spread of germs is by washing your hands. Many generations of children grew into healthy adults before hand sanitizer became popular. Many common household products can cause alcohol poisoning if ingested. It is likely that you have a significant number of products.
Description:Cosmetics and personal care products Recently, an email has circulated warning parents not to use hand sanitizers due to the danger they pose to children. And while hand sanitizers can be dangerous if swallowed, actual symptoms from their misuse are extremely rare. Hand sanitizer taste bad and can result in a burning sensation, so most children will not swallow an amount large enough to produce symptoms. However, there are children who will drink anything, no matter how bad it tastes — and in those cases alcohol poisoning can result.